Monday, February 9, 2009

UNITY


I apologize for not writing sooner, the spirit was definitely willing but the flesh was full of excuses. I will not beleaguer this point for the LORD has put something on my heart to write.

I want to talk about a thing that has always been near and dear to my heart and that is UNITY. Did you know that this word is mentioned (as far as I can see and you can check me on this) three (3) times in the bible?

Psalms 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Ephesians 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

The word unity spoken of is in reference to: The brethren, the unity of the bond of peace, and the unity of faith. This particular unity that the Word of God is speaking of cannot be had without Our LORD and SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST. There are many types unified fronts today in our world and society but they do not have the fullness of Christ and I am speaking of the Unity in Christ. When the brethren dwell together in unity the bible says, it is good and pleasant. Therefore according to Ephesians 4:3 we must do something, we must ENDEAVOUR to keep this unity. We must acknowledge that being in unity with Christ is a growing process as Ephesians 4:13 says, til we all come in the unity of faith. This phrase tells me that we must continue to strive to come to this unity of faith. Jamieson, Fausset, Brown Commentary says, “Until we arrive all of us at the unity."

I am encouraged by the scriptures because many times I see the body of Christ in a fractured state and not united, but according to the scriptures all is not lost because if we truly are in Christ we will all one day be united together with the LORD. Ephesians 4:13 also tells us that as we are coming to the unity of the faith that we must also come to the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, and unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. We should all have the knowledge of Christ through His Gospel. Ephesians 3:19 says, “And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.” When we know the love of Christ who for the joy that was set before Him endured the Cross, we should also, for the joy that is set before us endure our crosses. The apostle Paul is a wonderful example of someone who strived to attain to this perfection. Let us look at what Paul says about him striving after Christ:

Philippians 3:12 says: “Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect…”

Philippians 3:13 says: “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended…”

Paul recognized his limitations in the flesh but he never used that as an excuse not to strive for perfection in Christ. Let us look at these two scriptures in their entirety:

Philippians 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Beloved in Christ, I rejoice in the fact that even though I have not apprehended all that there is to apprehend in Christ, I have been apprehended of him. In other words, even if I fail to be united with all of my brothers and sisters in Christ my continued effort is to continue to strive for unity. The more we know Christ and the closer we draw ourselves to Him, we should in like manner desire to draw ourselves closer to the body of Christ and all Saints are part of His body (one body.)

Lastly as I was studying Philippians 3:12 my eyes were drawn to the last part of the verse which says, “I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.” I looked up the word apprehended in the dictionary and this is what it said:

Arrest somebody: to put somebody suspected of wrongdoing into legal custody.
(Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.)

I am so blessed to have been apprehended of Christ, because I was somebody caught in wrongdoing and now I am in the legal custody of Christ and I have been assured through scripture that He will never let me go. AMEN!!!!!

I pray this epistle of love was a blessing and received in the love and mind of Christ in which it was intended.

Blessings and as always,
Simply Trusting

1 comment:

  1. I saw the post this morning. And then I thought about Paul, and Peter, James, and a whole lot of others. Can't you imagine *them* jumping up and down with excitement over something the LORD had done? Slapping each other on the back; hooping and hollering? I can see it so clearly in my head.
    And then when I pondered the message, I was blown away. Unity - yes - that's what's missing. It's missing in our families, in our homes, in our churches; sometimes it seems like we'll never attain it. I absolutely loved the Philippians 3:12 quote. How many times I must have read over that Scripture and completely missed the message. Thank you, Tammy, for pointing it out.
    Philippians 2:2 says "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind." Amen and Amen!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete

Remember as you submit your comments think of the following scripture:

That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. Psalms 26:7